Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Pork Mole - Ole... worth the wait?

So, we did have our roasted pork with mole sauce on Sunday night.  It was good, or I should say, the sauce was good... the meat left something to be desired.  I used a pork butt, and cooked it in the oven for 2 hours, which should have been plenty of time, but it really wasn't.  Next time, I will put the pork in the crockpot with the sauce, and use it shredded for pork tacos.  That would have been a much better use of the meat.  I served the pork roast with baked potatoes, corn and rolls.


Monday night, we had lasagna roll-ups.  Much like a traditional lasagna, I used noodles that I boiled, and then mixed ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and Romano cheese together, and slathered in on the noodles and rolled them up.  I topped these with jarred sauce.  I did intend to use the leftover mom's sauce from last week, however, due to the power outage, it was lost and not replaced, as of yet.  The lasagna was good, but a little bland... it needed more sauce.  It was served with a Caesar salad.

Tuesday night was homemade crab cakes.  They really are truly easy to make.  I mixed a large can of frozen lump crab meat with 1 cup of seasoned bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon of old bay seasoning and 2 eggs, beaten with two tablespoons of olive oil.  I then mixed it all together with my hands and formed 2 inch patties that I baked in a 350 degree oven on a cookie sheet, sprayed with Pam for about 10 - 15 minutes.  These were served with couscous, and a mixture of zucchini and summer squash, sauteed with some tomato sauce.  I also served a salad alongside, made with fresh roma tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, romaine lettuce and some basil chiffonade.  I tossed this with a tiny bit of Ken's Steak House light balsamic vinaigrette.  This meal got rave reviews from Brian and Shannon.  However, Timothy and Holly refuse to eat crab cakes, and were made bagel pizzas instead.  This is NOT my normal practice, but I had bagels(already toasted) leftover from breakfast, so it was costing me nothing to make.

Tonight is my favorite beef stew in the crock pot.  It smells great, and I cannot wait to enjoy it.  Its crock pot night due to a crazy schedule with dance pickup right at dinner time.  I will post pictures of this meal in my review tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment