Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Some great meals have been had

So, we've been eating well, but there are some meals that are less memorable.  I never made the tomato ravioli soup, but I also cannot remember WHAT I made instead either.  I think its the holidays.  I've been very focused on Advent this week.  I'm finding LOTS of good ways to spend my time that do NOT involve cleaning my house.  However, there are quite a few meals I remember, and some are more memorable than others.

The chili rubbed pork roast was wonderful, but also VERY memorable.  The quiche pan that I used to cook it in split in two in my oven mid roast, leaking the olive oil mixture it was rubbed with ALL over my oven.  This led to extreme smoke and having to open the windows on a rather cold night.  The meal was great, and I highly recommend the recipe, just watch out for ceramic pans.

I used the leftovers to make quesidillas  with noodle soup.  It was a quick meal night, no real recipes because my kids had dance and movie night at the school.

We also had a wonderful meal of sweet and spicy steak salad.  My kids did not necessarily use the sauce that should be the dressing, but they couldn't get enough of it.  The dressing is out of this world and worth bottling!   Sorry, as I just found the camera, I didn't get any photos!

The Orange Balsamic Chicken with Lemon Risotto is one of my favorite meals from Rachel Ray's look and cook cookbook.  My kids really like the chicken and the risotto but there is not one child that likes both.  The flavor of both the orange and the balsamic are light, and complement each other extremely well.  That paired with the light lemon flavor of the risotto and topped with arugula lends itself well to a full meal in one bowl.

Last night we had another one of my favorite of her recipes.  The sausage and fish one pot is not a good name for this recipe.  This should be called a one-pot of deliciousness.  The white wine used in cooking this, combined with the tomatoes, onions and garlic really creates a wonderful broth.  I have two children who will not eat fish, and I am okay with them eating just the rest of it as its own meal.  Make sure to have some crusty bread or rolls to sop up the broth afterwards.  It is more of a stew with steamed fish on top.  It is totally out of this world.  This is one that my husband and I give 5 stars.

As I type I have mom's sauce simmering on the stove.   Here's the recipe:
2 lbs ground beef
1 large yellow onion
3 cloves of garlic
3 28 oz cans of tomato sauce
6 small cans of tomato paste
1/2 cup romano cheese
1 can of water
Oregano, basil and parsley
Brown the ground beef with the onions and garlic.  My family does not like onions, so I use the food processor to cut them up really small.  Once browned, ad dthe sauce, paste and water and mix until the paste is not a big lump anymore.  Then add the cheese and mix in.  For the spices, our rule of thumb is to taste, but we like to cover the top of the sauce completely with each of the spices and mix in.  Simmer for  while.  This will create enough for at least 3 meals and freezes VERY well.  Tonight we are having this with spaghetti and meatballs (not stuffed this time).  This will serve us for at least 3 meals and will be used in the next week or two.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving.  We are not hosting this year, that is my mom's holiday.  I am bringing homemade cranberry sauce, chocolate cream pie, apple pie, and homemade vanilla and coffee ice creams.  I will post about our holiday and black Friday shopping experience on Saturday.  Friday night is our high school reunion (how is that possible, didn't we JUST graduate?).  I will not have time to blog between now and then, but i'll be sure to post some great recipes on Saturday, as we enjoy our leftovers and decorate our tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment